Thursday, January 30, 2014

Moss and Metal Heart

Mossy Heart Decor via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Date and time: January 8th; approximately 5:45 pm. I was on my bi-weekly trip to the thrift store when I spotted a heart-shaped baking form in the kitchen section (which just happens to be one of my favorite areas for picking up items to repurpose). I already had Valentine's day on the brain from some other projects I was working on so, of course, I picked up the metal heart!
Fast forward to January 14th. I was alone and working on projects when I spied the metal heart sitting on my floor. I then remembered a bag of reindeer moss I had previously picked up at the thrift store and thought it would look really cute if the heart was covered in this moss.
Moss-Covered Heart on a Cupboard Door via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
I didn't want the shiny metal to show through any areas that the moss wasn't covering and I didn't have the time to work on rusting the heart. Well, honestly, I just didn't have the patience for rusting the heart. When I get my mind set on a project, I usually tear into it and this was no exception. I simply didn't want to wait overnight for rust to develop. So, instead, I painted the heart with some pale blue chalkpaint. I used American Paint Company in Beach Glass. Waiting for chalkpaint to dry isn't bad at all. It's super quick. I could handle a small wait :)

After the paint was dry, I got to hot gluing the moss onto the heart. It was a little messy but it went on well and I just kept adding a dab of glue here and there to make sure it was covering well.
Moss on a Heart-Shaped Baking Form via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Once the moss was on, I just wasn't loving all of the blue on the inside of the heart. And, since the moss was a thrift store find and I only had what I had, I couldn't add it to the inside because there simply wasn't any more...

I got to thinking about what I could do with the inside of the heart and burlap came to mind. I figured the burlap and the moss would go well together and I certainly had enough burlap hanging around! So I laid the heart on the burlap and determined how thick a piece I would need to cut. I used the edge of the burlap bag (all of the burlap I use is from coffee sacks) because I liked the seamed edge showing. Then I simply hot-clued it onto the inside of the heart. 
Burlap Lined Metal Heart Wall Decor via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
Then it came to me! This would be an awesome topiary! So I got out a candlestick and used the same pale blue on it that I had painted onto the heart. This was going to look sweet!

Now, you may have already noticed that this metal heart is NOT a topiary. This is where my story goes awry...

I got out a dowel and even attached it to the candlestick. But, I could not figure out for the life of me how to get that dowel securely attached to the metal heart. Part of the problem, dare I say the biggest part, was that I had already put the moss and burlap on. So drilling through the metal form was going to be pretty tricky. I knew it was going to cause some of the moss to come off and need reattaching. And I also knew that the burlap would get stuck on the drill bit and pull off, too. All my hard work would have needed to be redone. And that kinda stinks! And since there was no way around drilling a hole into the heart to make it into a topiary, I decided I'd better take a different course of action.. But I wasn't sure what it was, so I waited...
Moss and Burlap Heart Wall Decor via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
January 21st. A week later. I was really annoyed that I hadn't actually finished this project yet. And maybe even more annoyed with myself that it wasn't going to be a topiary! But I'd had a week to think about what to do with it and had an idea. I got out a cupboard door. I have a few of these left from a bundle of showroom doors I bought at an auction for a mere 50 cents a piece. This one with the beadboard is very pretty. To tie it together, I lightly painted the outside frame of the cupboard with an even paler blue. It's from the American Paint Company's Ellis Collection and it's called Treasure Box. It's a beautiful green-blue color and I love it! It's very subtle on this piece and looks so pretty!

Then I grabbed a read gingham ribbon and hung the heart onto the cupboard door, simply stapling the ribbon onto the back. 
Pretty Valentine Wall Decor with a Cupboard Door and Baking Form via http://deniseonawhim.blogspot.com
It's no topiary, but it sure turned out nice!

Keep in touch... Facebook | Pinterest | TwitterHometalkBloglovin | Instagram
Your comments make me smile :)
'Til next time!
post signature
Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...
That DIY Party at DIY ShowoffGive Me the Goods Party at Rain on a Tin RoofMonday Funday at Creatively LivingInspiration Monday at twelveOeightThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmBrag About It Tuesday at BebetsyKnick of Time Tuesday at Knick of Time InteriorsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerWork It Wednesday at The Blissful BeeHome and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome LifeCatch As Catch Can at My Repurposed LifeFurniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketLink Party Palooza at Tatertots and JelloTickled Pink at 504 MainBest of the Weekend at A Little ClaireificationSaturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and LattesSaturday Nite Special at Funky Junk InteriorsA Bouquet of Talent Party at Life on Lakeshore DriveDIY Showcase Party at Minette's MazeShare It One More Time at One More Time Events

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover