Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Roadside Rescue Chalkboard

Sometimes you find the prettiest little things on the side of the road. This project was constructed with the donations from a few different households. People throw out some amazing things!
We made this rustic chalkboard out of a table top and some broken pieces from (I think) a chair. 
Here are the pieces before we started working with them.
I picked up the table on the side of the road because I thought the base and  legs were really nice (although there were only 3 left). Little did I know I would use the table top first. But I just loved the shape of it and thought it would make a great chalkboard. So I removed what was left of the base and brought it inside.
I just so happened to be looking through my junk one day and saw the pretty pieces that I had picked up once when I saw a small jewelry armoire sitting on the side of the road. I haven't done a thing with the armoire yet, but I'm sure glad I saw it and got lucky enough to grab these little beauties, too. Their curves were a perfect match for my rescued table top!
I painted the pieces with Vintage White and added aging wax to them. 
Next, I laid them on the table top and decided where I wanted to put them and my chalkboard paint. With a pencil, I free-handed the curve at the top to match the curve of the table. Then I measured and used a straight edge for the sides. After taping the straight edges off, I started with the chalkboard paint, being careful to follow the curve at the top. After a few coats were dry, I added the Vintage White border around the chalkboard area with a small brush. 
I knew I wanted to make a pocket at the bottom of the board. But I didn't have any way of cutting a piece of wood to match that curve and add it under the rescued chair piece. So I got out some drop cloth and traced the shape of the curve. I cut the drop cloth, leaving enough so that I could fold it up the back of the wood as well. I stapled the drop cloth to the bottom of the curvy piece and up the back.
Next I attached the pieces to the table top with wood glue and clamped it overnight. I also added a few nails to the bottom piece. In the morning, I took some hot glue and attached the back of the drop cloth to the table top so my pocket would be closed off, leaving no gap between the table top and the drop cloth. And it worked perfectly!
I picked up this rusty yellow tin at a yard sale a couple weeks ago. It's a nice butter color and looks great with the chalkboard and old wood. 
Here's a close up of one of the pieces I rescued from the side of the road. How could someone throw this gorgeous thing away? The aging wax looks perfect on it!
And there you have it. A roadside rescue chalkboard. And, I might add, a project I did completely by myself, start to finish! I'm not usually the one who constructs things. I try to leave that to Eric as much as possible. But I really had it in my mind to get this accomplished all alone. And it feels great because it turned out lovely!
"Til next time!
post signature
Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...
That DIY Party at DIY ShowoffGive Me the Goods Party at Rain on a Tin RoofMonday Funday at Creatively LivingInspiration Monday at twelveOeightThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House, Take a Bow Link Party at Art Is BeautyThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingFluster's Creative Muster Party at Fluster BusterBrag About It Tuesday at BebetsyKnick of Time Tuesday at Knick of Time InteriorsWhimsy Wednesday at Smart School HouseUnder $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket FenceWow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern StyleFrom Dream to Reality at The DIY DreamerWork It Wednesday at The Blissful BeeHome and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome LifeFurniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard SeedInspire Me Please Link Party at Liz Marie BlogFrugal Friday at The Shabby NestFeathered Nest Friday at French Country CottageWhat Have You Redone at Redoux InteriorsThrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty GrooveSimple and Sweet Fridays at Rooted inThymeBe Inspired at Common GroundFabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer RizzoShow and Tell Friday at Romantic HomeJunkin' Joe Vintage and Thrifty Finds at The Cottage MarketLink Party Palooza at Tatertots and JelloTickled Pink at 504 MainBest of the Weekend at A Little ClaireificationSaturday Show and Tell at Cheerios and LattesSaturday Nite Special at Funky Junk InteriorsA Bouquet of Talent Party at Life on Lakeshore DriveFrom the Farm Blog HopDIY Showcase Party at Minette's MazeShare It One More Time at One More Time Events

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover