Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bike Wheel Rag Wreath

upcycled, recycled, wheel, rust, wreath
While I didn't have the time to snap any nice, fancy pictures of this project, I'm sharing it with you anyway since I think it's pretty fun! With a little rust and some pretty fabric, my daughter's old bicycle wheel makes a pretty autumn rag wreath!
It's kind of a long story how the bike ended up in bits and pieces, but it boils down to this... My daughter and son had both outgrown their bikes. I got a bike for my daughter. A boy's bike but at this age, who cares, right? Well, my daughter cared. So I decided to take it apart and spray paint it. It's now purple and pink with daisies. And my daughter's old Dora the Explorer bike... perfect size for my son. So I took that one apart to paint it too. But before it was done, someone I work with offered me a boy's bike for my son and I took it. That left a bike, in pieces, sitting in my garage. 

As I walked in there one day, I saw this wheel sitting on the floor. I scooped it up, took it inside and decided it would make a great wreath! I took two patterns of leftover fabric and ripped them into pieces. Then I simply knotted them around the rim. I did all of the checked fabric first, then randomly added the darker brown floral print around the wheel.
upcycled, recycled, wheel, rust, wreath
Here it is with an autumn banner I threw together with some of the same material and a place mat from the thrift store.
upcycled, recycled, wheel, rust, wreath
I simply cut the place mat into pieces and, with the fringe as the bottom, stenciled letters on. Then I hot glued them into place on some twine, tying a few rag pieces in between each letter. 
upcycled, recycled, wheel, rust, wreath
For the wreath, I printed a couple of designs off the computer on regular office paper, mod podging them to some book pages, and added them onto the spokes with a couple of painted clothespin. Instant autumn wreath! And totally upcycled to boot!
upcycled, recycled, wheel, rust, wreath
I hope you are enjoying the beautiful colors of autumn, the chilly air and the toasty beverages that come with it!
Head on over and like our facebook page here.
Follow me on Pinterest with this link.
To get all the latest posts through bloglovin', just click this.
New followers and comments absolutely make my day! :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover