Tuesday, February 19, 2013

HeartPrints Keychain {for my love}


Buying gifts for a man can sometimes be way-difficult! Making them is sometimes even more of a challenge because, let's face it, I'm a girl and I like pretty things. It's sometimes difficult to not get too carried away with the cutesy and lean more toward the manly. But, I thought I'd give it another try after my
to Eric turned out so well!

I saw this really great pendant made from clay on Pinterest. It was so cool (here's the link to her post), but I knew I wouldn't have a chance to make it to the store for any clay. So, what's a girl to do...?

Get creative, of course! 


I pulled out what I had at home, namely a few washers at different sizes and a tin can lid. I figured I would put my fingerprints on the can lid and then cut a heart around them. What I wasn't sure of, was what to use for the medium to transpose my fingerprints on. 

I tried using fingernail polish painted on the metal, which worked (although it was a little messy for my fingers! lol) until I tried to cut the heart out, at which time it chipped off the tin. Hmmm.... what to try next?

Then I had a lightbulb moment. Chalk paint would work on the tin! So I painted one coat of Aubusson Blue on and then, over that, I used Old White and quickly made the fingerprints. It worked so well, showing off the blue where my prints were. Yay! So I put a coat of wax on the lid, then got the tin snips out and cut a heart around the 2 fingerprints. 


The next thing to do was get out my drill and add a hole in the large washer so I could make this thing into a keychain. To be honest, I wasn't really sure if the bits I had were supposed to be used on metal, but I figured I'd give it a try. And it did indeed work. Another success! :)

I next got out my trusty JB Weld, attaching the 2 washers and the heart together and clamped it for a few hours. Things seemed to be going smashingly! But something was missing. It just didn't seem finished. So I grabbed a bottled cap to see if that would work somehow. Perfect fit for the back of the washer! I painted it with Chalk Paint as well, this time in Coco, and waxed it with dark aging wax. But it still needed something more...

I had though once about using metal stamps on this piece. But, they are really kind of a pain! lol. Instead, I printed out some words on plain paper, cut them out and used Mod Podge to attach them to the bottlecap and again over them to seal it. 


I put a nut between the washer and the bottle cap and used the epoxy to weld those together too. Finally, I added some dark wire through the hole I had drilled and an old spring I had found when scrounging through my box of junk. I bent the wire back into the spring and used a little more JB Weld to hold it. Then I added a ring and it was done. 

I was really happy with the way it turned out. Junky and totally repurposed. A bit manly (but still pretty!). All with a personal, unique-to-me touch. The perfect Valentine for my guy. And he thought so too :)


We're sharing at these great parties...
Cowgirl Up! Party
Your Gonna Love It Linky Party at Kathe With an E
Transformed Tuesdays at PJH Designs
Take A Look Tuesday at Sugarbee Crafts
Be Inspired Linky Party at Elizabeth and Co
It's Party Time at Three Mango Seeds
From Dream to Reality at The DIY Dreamer
Wow Me Wednesday at Ginger Snap Crafts
Whimsy Wednesday at Smart School House
Tasteful Tuesday at Nap Time Creations
What We Accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow Pond
Show and Share with Southern Lovely
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Wednesday Whatsits at White Lights on Wednesday
Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife
Under $100 Linky Party at Beyond the Picket Fence
Live Laugh Linky at Live Laugh Rowe
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Made U Look Linky at Made In a Day
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Hookin Up with HOH at House of Hepworths

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE pretty things too :) This is a great gift idea! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute keychains! I love the heart one! I host a Tasteful Tuesday link party (still open until Friday) and would love for you to come over and link up! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/02/winners-and-tasteful-tuesday-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And I just linked up to your party :)

      Delete
  3. I really love this project! You did a beautiful job and I think it is a perfect gift. Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind. And I just checked out your blog. That flower cookie bouquet is beautiful!

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous gift from the heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He sure thought so, and that's what I had hoped for! :)

      Delete
  5. How sweet! Your hubby must have been so touched. I love the idea of adding your fingerprints to it too! Thank you for C What We Accomplished Wednesdays! Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great comment and have a good weekend yourself! :)

      Delete
  6. What a great gift idea! I'm sure he really appreciates you taking time to make him something. I really like the way it turned out. Thank you for linking up to Transformed Tuesday.
    Hugs,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party! Glad i found you. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover