Wednesday, June 6, 2012

If you're lucky enough...

Keara, my 6 year old daughter, is going to the zoo today on a field trip. Looks like a fantastic day for a trip to the zoo. They're saying sunny and warm for the weather. Couldn't be better. Or could it?

I was reading a friend's post on facebook about how her daughter said she had a perfect day, partly because her mom got to come to her school picnic. I didn't make it to Keara's picnic. And I'm not going to be able to make it to the zoo either...

I wish I could go with her. I really do. In my stead, her Nana is going, so she'll have a ton of fun anyway. But I miss not being able to do all of her school activities with her. Maybe it's because my mom was always there for my parties and field trips, but I feel guilty somehow when I can't go. I only made it to one trip this year for her and didn't make it on Chris's trip to the farm. Nana went to that one, too.

I know it's not the end of the world. And I know I'm not the only parent who can't make it to every special event. But, still, I have the guilties this morning. The truth is, even though my boss wouldn't have a problem with me missing work for the trip, I really need to work the hours. Being the only source of income in my house, I need to put in the hours in order to provide for us all. But that doesn't make me feel any better about missing out...

So if you're lucky enough to be able to make it to most of your children's school events, be thankful. I know sometimes there is a lot going on, especially at the end of the school year, and it seems like you have a very full plate with the running here and there on different trips, but enjoy it if you can. It really is a privilege to share these moments with your kiddos. And one they will surely remember as well. And if you can't make it, try not to get the guilties. After all, we're all just doing the best we can when it comes to this thing called life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover